Projects IN Controlled Environments 2 (PRINCE2) is a process-based method for project management. The PRINCE2 method is scalable and tailorable, and can be used for managing any size or type of project. It is built on seven principles, themes, and processes and is aligned with AXELOS’s other methodologies MSP®, MoOV®, P3O®, MoP® and M_o_R®.
To discuss your PRINCE2 requirements please call us on +44 (0) 3333 445 286, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A consistent approach towards project management.
- Improved communication as PRINCE2 provides a common language for project management.
- Scalable and tailorable to any project environment.
- The most widely adopted approach to project management globally.
- Aligns project management with the needs of the business.
The PRINCE2 method is made up of four integrated elements of principles, themes, processes, and the project environment.
The PRINCE2 guiding requirements and good practices are requisite if a project is being managed using PRINCE2. There are seven guiding principles;, unless all of them are present, the project isn’t being managed using PRINCE2.
The PRINCE2 principles are:
- Continued business justification: there must also be a justifiable reason to be running and managing the project. If not, the project should be closed.
- Learn from experience: PRINCE2 project teams should continually seek and draw on lessons learned from previous work.
- Defined roles and responsibilities: the PRINCE2 project team should have a clear organisational structure and involve the right people in the right tasks.
- Manage by stages: PRINCE2 projects should be planned, monitored and controlled on a stage-by-stage basis.
- Manage by exception: people working within the project should be given the right amount of authority to effectively work within the environment.
- Focus on products: PRINCE2 projects focus on the product definition, delivery and quality requirements.
- Tailor to suit the project environment: PRINCE2 must be tailored to suit the project’s environment, size, complexity, importance, capability and risk.
The PRINCE2 themes describe aspects of project management that must be addressed in parallel throughout the project. The seven PRINCE2 themes explain the specific treatment required by PRINCE2 for various project management disciplines and why they are necessary.
PRINCE2 helps to apply the themes by stating the minimum requirement needed for each theme, and gives specific guidance on how to tailor them to certain environments.
The seven PRINCE2 themes are
The PRINCE2 themes are as follows:
- Business case: create and maintain a record of the business justification for the project.
- Organisation: define the individual roles and responsibilities of the whole project team.
- Quality: what the quality requirements and measures are and how the project will deliver them.
- Plans: the steps required to develop the plans and the PRINCE2 techniques that should be used.
- Risk: effectively identify risks and opportunities that could impact upon the project.
- Change: how the project manager will assess and act on changes to the project.
- Progress: the ongoing viability and performance of the plans and how and whether the project should proceed.
The PRINCE2 processes describe the steps of the project lifecycle, from starting a project to project closure (and measurement of benefit). Each process provides checklists of recommended activities, related responsibilities and guidance on how to tailor to a specific environment.
The seven PRINCE2 processes are:
- Starting up a project.
- Directing a project.
- Initiating a project.
- Controlling a stage.
- Managing product delivery.
- Managing stage boundaries.
- Closing a project.
AXELOS, the owners of PRINCE2, run the qualification scheme through one Exam Institute, PeopleCert. There are currently two main levels (Foundation and Practitioner) of PRINCE2 certification with four qualifications available. They are:
At the ITSM Shop we have a dedicated team of ITSM and project management consultants. We understand that getting to grips with managing a project with PRINCE2 can be a difficult task. That’s why we are here to help you as little, or as much as you need.
To discuss your PRINCE2 requirements please call us on +44 (0) 3333 445 286, or email us at email@example.com
An Executive Guide to PRINCE2 Agile£9.95 Select options
Directing Successful Projects with PRINCE2 – 2017 EditionFrom: £54.95 Select options
Managing Successful Projects with PRINCE2 2017 EditionFrom: £75.00 Select options
Portfolio, Programme, Project Management (P3M3) Enhanced Self-Assessment£300.00 excluding VAT Add to basket