ISO/IEC 20000 is the International Standard for service management. It sets out the processes that are needed to deliver services effectively. Part 1 of the standard details the requirements for a service management system (SMS). First published in 2005 to supersede BS 15000, the standard was updated to the latest edition in 2018.
The standard reflects the best practice guidance given in ITIL®,COBIT®, CMMI-SVC and other approaches. Part 2 of the standard gives guidance on the implementation of an SMS that is compliant with Part 1 of the standard.
Call us on +44 (0) 3333 445 286 to discuss your ISO20000 requirements, or email [email protected]
ISO/IEC 20000-1:2018 can be used by:
- An organisation seeking services from service providers and requiring assurance that their service requirements will be fulfilled.
- An organisation that requires a consistent approach by all its service providers, including those in a supply chain.
- A service provider that intends to demonstrate its capability for the design, transition, delivery and improvement of services that fulfil service requirements.
- A service provider to monitor, measure and review its service management processes and services.
- A service provider to improve the design, transition, delivery and improvement of services through the effective implementation and operation of the SMS.
- An assessor or auditor as the criteria for a conformity assessment of a service provider’s SMS to the requirements in ISO/IEC 20000-1:2011.
Benefits of ISO/IEC 20000:
The benefits of ISO/IEC 20000 are as follows:
- Alignment of IT with the needs of the business.
- Adoption of an approach to continuous improvement.
- Improved ROI from IT investments.
- Reduced risk in IT investments.
- Improved reputation in the market.
- Efficient service delivery.
- Transparent costs and ROI.
There are ten parts to the standard, they are:
- ISO/IEC 20000-1:2018 Information technology – Service management – Part 1: Service management system requirements.
- ISO/IEC 20000-2:2012 Information technology — Service management — Part 2: Guidance on the application of service management systems.
- ISO/IEC 20000-3:2012 Information technology — Service management — Part 3: Guidance on scope definition and applicability of ISO/IEC 20000-1.
- ISO/IEC TR 20000-4:2010 Information technology — Service management — Part 4: Process reference model.
- ISO/IEC TR 20000-5:2013 Information technology — Service management — Part 5: Exemplar implementation plan for ISO/IEC 20000-1.
- ISO/IEC 20000-6:2017 Information technology – Service management – Part 6: Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of service management systems.
- ISO/IEC TR 20000-9:2015 Information technology — Service management — Part 9: Guidance on the application of ISO/IEC 20000-1 to cloud services.
- ISO/IEC TR 20000-10:2018 Information technology – Service management – Part 10: Concepts and terminology.
- ISO/IEC TR 20000-11:2015 Information technology – Service management – Part 11: Guidance on the relationship between ISO/IEC 20000-1:2011 and service management frameworks: ITIL®.
- ISO/IEC TR 20000-12:2016 Information technology – Service management – Part 12: Guidance on the relationship between ISO/IEC 20000-1:2011 and service management frameworks: CMMI-SVC.
ISO/IEC 20000 Certification
As ISO/IEC 20000-1 details a set of requirements for an SMS, it is possible for an organisation to get independently certified by a certification body against the standard. In order to do this an organisation must have all the correct documentation in place. Buy the ISO20000 Documentation Toolkit.
We have consultants that can help you with your ISO/IEC 20000 project. If you need assistance with your project call us on +44 (0) 3333 445 286 to discuss your ISO/IEC 20000 needs, or email [email protected]
ISO/IEC 20000 Training
ISO/IEC 20000 can be a difficult standard to implement, especially if you are new to the sector or haven’t worked with the standard before. To help meet this need we have partnered with one of the world’s best providers of e-learning to deliver an ISO 20000 Foundation online course.
This course is available for 30 or 60 days online access, and provides an introduction to the ISO20000 standard.